Gum Disease Treatment in Glen Carbon, IL
Gum disease is a serious and common dental condition that can have an impact on your overall wellness. Research has shown that there is a link between gum disease and an increased risk of other systemic health conditions such as diabetes, stroke, and heart attacks, as well as the toll it takes on your smile. At Kellerman Dental in Glen Carbon, IL, we are proactive in the diagnosis and treatment of gum disease to cut down on inflammation, eliminate infection, and reduce the other complications it can have on your oral health.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the gum tissue commonly caused by insufficient oral hygiene. When you brush and floss your teeth regularly, it removes food particles and plaque, a sticky substance loaded with bacteria. If plaque is not effectively removed, the bacteria will multiply and spread to the area beneath the gumline, attacking healthy tissue, tooth roots, and bone. Symptoms of gum disease include:
- Red, inflamed gums
- Bleeding while brushing or flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Pus pockets around the teeth
These symptoms are just the beginning of gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease will continue to advance and can result in gum tissue pulling away from the teeth, loose teeth, and tooth loss.
Gum disease treatment
Gum disease treatment is recommended based on the stage of the condition. In its earliest stage, gingivitis, the recommended course of treatment is usually an improvement in oral hygiene at home and increased dental cleanings. We may also prescribe oral or topical antibiotics. If gingivitis develops into advanced periodontitis, treatments will need to be more involved such as:
- Scaling and root planing – A professional deep cleaning for teeth that removes plaque and bacteria below the gum line to the bottom of the dental pockets. The roots are then “planed” or smoothed out to allow for easier attachment back to the teeth.
- PerioProtect – This non-invasive treatment involves using molded trays that are custom-fabricated to fit your teeth. Inside the trays, you will place a small amount of medicine and then place them on your teeth for the recommended amount of time. The medication is designed to eliminate bacteria in the periodontal pockets. As a bonus, it also helps keep your breath fresh.
- Other treatments – If you have experienced severe gum recession, bone, or tooth loss due to gum disease, other restorative treatments may be recommended.
If you have noticed some of the symptoms of gum disease, it is important to see your dentist as soon as possible to improve your oral health and well-being. If you are in the areas of Glen Carbon, Edwardsville, Troy, Maryville, Collinsville, or Granite City.