Gum Disease Treatment in Glen Carbon, IL
Gum disease is a severe and common dental condition that can have an impact on your overall wellness. Research shows that there is a link between gum disease and an increased risk of other systemic health conditions such as diabetes, stroke, and heart attacks, as well as the toll it takes on your smile. At Kellerman Dental, in Glen Carbon, IL, we are proactive in diagnosing and treating gum disease. Treating gum disease helps cut down on inflammation, eliminate infection, and reduce other complications it can have on your oral health.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the gum tissue commonly caused by insufficient oral hygiene. When you brush and floss your teeth regularly, it removes food particles and plaque, a sticky substance loaded with bacteria. If plaque is not removed correctly, the bacteria will multiply and spread to the area beneath the gum line, attacking healthy tissue, tooth roots, and bone. Symptoms of gum disease include:
- Red, inflamed gums
- Bleeding while brushing or flossing
- Chronic bad breath
- Pus pockets around the teeth
These symptoms are just the beginning of gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease will continue to advance and result in gum tissue pulling away from the teeth, loose teeth, and tooth loss.
Gum disease treatment
Gum disease treatment is recommended based on the stage of the condition. In its earliest stage, gingivitis, the recommended course of treatment is usually an improvement in oral hygiene at home and increased dental cleanings. We may also prescribe oral or topical antibiotics. If gingivitis develops into advanced periodontitis, treatments will need to be more involved such as:
- Scaling and root planing – This is a professional deep cleaning for teeth that removes plaque and bacteria below the gum line to the bottom of the dental pockets’. The roots are then “planed” or smoothed out to allow easier attachment back to the teeth.
- PerioProtect – This non-invasive treatment involves using molded trays that are custom-fabricated to fit your teeth. Inside the trays, you will place a small amount of medicine and then put them on your teeth for the recommended amount of time. The medication is designed to eliminate bacteria in the periodontal pockets. As a bonus, it also helps keep your breath fresh.
- Other treatments – If you have experienced severe gum recession, bone, or tooth loss due to gum disease, we may recommend other restorative treatments.
If you have noticed any gum disease symptoms, it is essential to see your dentist as soon as possible. If you live in Glen Carbon, Edwardsville, Troy, Maryville, Collinsville, or Granite City, contact us at 618-228-3100!
Gum disease treatment at Kellerman Dental
What is gum disease?
Hi, I’m Dr. Kevin Kellerman with Kellerman Dental in Glen Carbon, IL. Today I want to talk to you about gum disease and what we can do to help.
Gum disease is a condition that affects many people that live in our country. The good news is we can help prevent it or maintain the gum disease, so it doesn’t cause significant problems for you as time goes by.
Why is gum disease prevention important?
Do you know someone with dentures?
If you do, the reason they have dentures is because they had gum disease and never had it addressed.
The good news is by choosing to come to visit your dentist regularly, and we can help prevent gum disease before it even begins or catch it in the early stages before significant damage occurs.
How can you treat gum disease?
I always tell our patients treating their gum disease is a team effort. If you do your role at home and we do our role in the office, and you visit us regularly, we can help you keep your teeth for a lifetime.
Even if you do your best at home by brushing and flossing every day, there’s still some tartar, plaque, and bacteria that you can’t remove with the tools you have at home.
That’s why our office has special tools to help remove the bacteria and plaque you can’t get with your toothbrush.